Friday, July 14, 2006

The Wedding Shrine, continued

In my previous posts, I discussed my proposal for a wedding shrine. To my delight, my client has accepted my proposal, and we have determined a theme and format.

A little background: This isn't your cookie-cutter type of wedding with the usual church service and reception that is like every other wedding you've attended. This couple has taken the time and trouble (and are creative enough themselves) to put together an event that is unique and very much THEM. I applaud this -- I am in favor of creativity, period -- and would love to go myself if it wasn't 1000 miles away, it sounds like a lot of fun. Basically, it sounds like a cross between Burning Man, a Renaissance Fair, and a Shinto temple ceremony. The celebration is a three-day event, in a gorgeous remote valley in Oregon -- with a lake, a bridge, a stage, campgrounds, and a beautiful view. The ceremony is on the first day, and will include a classic Japanese tea ceremony. There will be camping, picnics and festivities for the next two days, with entertainment, wandering philosophers, and possibly a marching band!

Their theme is suitably cross-cultural: Asian, Indian (as in India, not Native American), Pacific Islands, with a dash of American Victorian. The colors are shades of scarlet and gold.

I intend to take the ugly thing shown two posts back, paint and collage its surface and the drawer interiors, embellish the front, top and sides lightly with beads and microbeads for a bit of glimmer (in fact, I am going to try to reproduce their lovely invitation background in acrylic using gold leaf and microbeads for the gold accents on the sides and the drawer linings). In the interior, I will collage multi-cultural couples taken from art, primarily classic Indian and Japanese, with some Victorian vintage images. I will attach a Japanese tea cup in the center, for the couple and guests to fill as they wish. Each drawer will be personalized, one for the groom, one for the bride. On the back, I will attatch lots and lots of ribbon streamers, trailing behind the piece like the train of a gown.

Then, I will include a number of small embellishments, mostly dimensional, with a glue dot on the back of each. The bride's idea, which I love, is that the guests will finish the shrine themselves. The embellishments will also be Asian/Indian/Pacific Islander/Victorian, just peel and stick.

I can't wait to get started!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home